Wednesday, September 22, 2010

low-fat chocolate chip cookies!

I was craving chocolate, and I really was in the mood to bake so I decided to make cookies! But, when I cook I try to be healthy so low-fat chocolate chip cookies were decided! the reason they are low-fat is that the only fat in the cookie is the choco chips! and such a delicious fat it is! now, my dad bought fat-free "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" but I couldn't remember if I had made cookies with that before, so I just bought some fat-free plain yogurt instead. Fat-free yogurt does give the cookies a different texture, let me explain. The cookie is chewy....maybe a difficult chew....but I still like it. If you like golden brown cookies like I sometimes do, they get a "crust" on them. I don't mind it because I am saving my body from immense amounts of butter. Fat-free yogurt is also good in cakes and such, which it does not change the texture of it. When I crave them again, I'll try the butter to see what it does! Oh yeah, I also use egg whites. I don't use whole eggs anymore, its just egg whites or egg beaters (whichever is cheaper when I shop). I know there are benefits to whole eggs, but they are just a splurge item now at the diners. I'll sometimes get egg white omelets when I go, depending on my heart attack meat choices.
But back to the cookies! I use the tried and true Nestle recipe. It's familiar and has never let me down. Always a good cookie, and there is always room for creativeness when using that recipe.

Adjusted Recipe (in order I put in bowl):

1/4-1/2 cup fat-free yogurt (I'm sorry but I forget how much I did, I think I did 1/2 cup, but you can always add more at the end!)

6 Tbsp egg whites

3/4 brown sugar (or Splenda brown sugar blend....or the hard to find Sugar Twin replacement)

3/4 white sugar (or Splenda)

1 tsp salt (or salt replacer....my dad has HBP)

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp vanilla extract (please no imitation, it's just awful....)

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (its fat-free!!!)

12 oz. chocolate chips (1 bag)


Preheat oven to 375F


so the standard mixing of the ingredients. Mix the first 2. Then add the 3rd and 4th. The add all the tsp amount ingredients. Then add flour 1/4 cup at a time to incorporate. If too dry, add more yogurt; if too wet, add more flour. Then add bag of choco chips. I don't really feel like explaining in depth, because if you have never made cookies, well you need some serious help!
Bake 7-10.....keep a close eye!!!!! NOT KIDDING!


Yummy!!!!! And you can feel better about it! O, and I just saw that Hershey makes Sugar-Free chips! Well, I saw it online, so I really can't say I've seen it in stores, but I will find it!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment