Monday, July 26, 2010

Potato Salad

I don't know about you but I love potato! I actually really enjoy store bought kind: red potato salad and mashed potato salad(from Publix). No eggs in mine either....ew! But as we all know potato salad is seriously bad for you. Have you ever looked on the back of the containers....its about 300 calories per serving and that serving is not large either! Big no-no. This is what happens when you combine carby potatoes with lots and lots of mayo. I personally hate mayo, except in said salad, so trying to find a healthy alternative was a mission! I found a recipe on ilovenapa.com for a fat-free salad. It was the only one that made sense to me; I found some that involved cauliflower instead of potatoes...and also some that just called for low-fat mayo...ahem I want fat-free! So I've made it once before when the boy and I went away for the 4th, but I had some potatoes in the kitchen and decided, why not? It is super easy to make, too!

Fat-Free Potato Salad

-roughly 2lbs of potatoes (recipe calls for new, I use the pale fat-free potato. o and I free hand how much)
-5-6 green onions, finely chopped
-roughly 1/2 cup non-fat yogurt (greek would be best, but I'm too cheap. And i guesstimate on this too, because I might use more potatoes)
-2 tsp or more Dijon mustard (again, I use the cheap brand...and guesstimate because I like the taste of Dijon)
-handful of fresh herbs, finely chopped (recipe calls for basil, but my store never has it, so I use parsley. I think rosemary would be good as well because it pairs well with potatoes)
-salt and pepper, to taste


chop the potatoes into 1 inch or 1/2 inch cubes (um, I don't measure) and then cook them in boiling, salted water. You want to cook them until tender, but not falling apart. I made that mistake the first time I made the salad. I also leave the peels on, you don't have to.

Ok, so after that, we add the yogurt and scallions.

Then toss that gently together (I use a rubber spatula). After that add the chopped herbs, dijon mustard and salt & pepper. After adding that, toss again. Then taste to adjust the seasoning, either adding more salt & pepper or dijon, or yogurt...you get it. I also stopped taking pictures until it was done.
Then refrigerate for 1-2 hours and taste and adjust again.
Voila! Yummy, healthy deliciousness!

recipe courtesy of: http://ilovenapa.com/recipes/potato_salad.pdf




No comments:

Post a Comment